Your Account: Login or Register

The Guide to the Duties of the Heart

taught by Rabbi Sjimon den Hollander

This event next occurs Sunday, February 23, 8:45AM. Click here to view all 27 occurences.
Sunday, October 27, 8:45AM
Sunday, November 3, 8:45AM
Sunday, November 10, 8:45AM
Sunday, November 17, 8:45AM
Sunday, November 24, 8:45AM
Sunday, December 1, 8:45AM
Sunday, December 8, 8:45AM
Sunday, December 15, 8:45AM
Sunday, December 22, 8:45AM
Sunday, December 29, 8:45AM
Sunday, January 5, 8:45AM
Sunday, January 12, 8:45AM
Sunday, February 16, 8:45AM
Sunday, February 23, 8:45AM
Sunday, March 1, 8:45AM
Sunday, March 8, 8:45AM
Sunday, March 15, 8:45AM
Sunday, March 22, 8:45AM
Sunday, March 29, 8:45AM
Sunday, April 5, 8:45AM
Sunday, April 12, 8:45AM
Sunday, April 19, 8:45AM
Sunday, April 26, 8:45AM
Sunday, May 3, 8:45AM
Sunday, May 10, 8:45AM
Sunday, May 17, 8:45AM
Sunday, May 24, 8:45AM
Hide dates

 

 

While The Guide to the Duties of the Heart (completed around 1075 CE) is sometimes called the first work of Jewish ethics, it aims to guide us towards a spiritual dedication, taught within a philosophical outlook that has similarities with both Saadiah Gaon and Maimonides. Besides philosophical concepts, Bahya ibn Paquda frequently uses stories and concepts from Sufism (Islamic mysticism) to stir in us a spiritual mindfulness and to deepen our love of God.

 

Rabbi Sjimon den Hollander was born in the Netherlands. He received his Master’s degree in Arabic and Islamology from the University of Leiden. After subsequently earning a Bachelor’s degree in education, he taught Comparative Religion at Ichthus Teachers’ College in Rotterdam. More recently, Rabbi den Hollander received semikha from Rabbi Eliyahu Ben Haim and from Yeshiva University. He teaches Jewish literature at Hunter College. In addition, he does research on Islam’s perception of Judaism and writes online articles in Arabic explaining Judaism to a Muslim audience.

Omer Board

Shearith Israel’s “Omer Board” dates back to the Mill Street Synagogue of 1730, and may indeed go back to the early years of the Congregation’s history. 

1730
Chatham Square Cemetery

The oldest of our extant cemeteries is known as the Chatham Square Cemetery.  It is located in Chinatown at 55 St. James Place.  The land was originally purchased in 1682 by Joseph Bueno de Mesquita. 

1682