Your Account: Login or Register

Congregational History

Congregation Shearith Israel, the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue, was founded in 1654, the first Jewish congregation to be established in North America.

Objects

Our links to the past are made tangible by our everyday use and display of ritual treasures and historic relics.

People

Members of Shearith Israel left their mark on history, both in terms of their contributions to the congregation and in terms of their contributions to the civic life of New York and America.

Synagogue Buildings

Over the centuries Congregation Shearith Israel has been housed in five different synagogue buildings and established at least four cemeteries.

Cemeteries

Shearith Israel's cemeteries are critical to the preservation and transmission of our congregational story.  Three historic and one active cemetery are maintained by the congregation and each has a tale to tell.

Commemorative Synagogue Plates

Plates depicting Shearith Israel's five historic synagogue buildings as well the Touro Synagogue in Newport, RI.

1954
West 11th Street Cemetery

The West Eleventh Street cemetery, the second historic cemetery of Congregation Shearith Israel, was consecrated on February 27, 1805.  

1805