Your Account: Login or Register

Crosby Street Synagogue

1834

Crosby Street Synagogue Exterior

Crosby Street Synagogue Exterior

At the population of the city, including the Jews, was moving uptown, the location on Mill Street (now South William Street) in Lower Manhattan became increasingly inconvenient.  In 1834 the congregation built a new synagogue on Crosby Street (street numbers 56 to 62), between Broom and Spring Street.  It was fifty-three feet wide and seventy five feet long, substantially larger that the previous two buildings.  The conerstone for this building was the same one that had been used in the first Mill Street synagogue - a vivid symbol of the continuity of generations and traditions within the congregation.  The synagogue was built with a basement, ten feet high, which was used for housing a chapel, the congregational school, and meeting rooms.

 

The Crosby Street synagogue was described in the New York Times as a "remarkably neat building."  The Boston Courier reported that it had been "constructed in admirable taste."

West 11th Street Cemetery

The West Eleventh Street cemetery, the second historic cemetery of Congregation Shearith Israel, was consecrated on February 27, 1805.  

1805
First Mill Street Synagogue

The little synagogue on Mill Street was the first structure designed and built to be a synagogue in continental North America. 

1730