Shearith Israel's cemeteries are critical to the preservation and transmission of our congregational story. Three historic and one active cemetery are maintained by the congregation and each has a tale to tell.
Twenty First Street Cemetery
In August of 1829, Shearith Israel’s third cemetery was consecrated. It was located on Twenty First Street just west of Sixth Avenue
Hebrew School History
In 1802, Meir Polonies donated $900 to fund our Hebrew School