Your Account: Login or Register

Women’s History at Congregation Shearith Israel

Women’s History at Congregation Shearith Israel

1841 – Founding of the Womens’ Hebra, merging with the Hebra Hased Va-Amet in 1871

1877 – Sarah Lyons appointed principal of the Polonies Talmud Torah School, retires in 1913

1896 – Founding of the Sisterhood

1950 – First Consecration of Girls

1987 – Dr. Janice Ovadiah appointed Executive Director

1989 – First female elector, Gilda Angel, signs the Constitution

1990 – Dr. Victoria Bengualid serves as Treasurer

1991 – Eva G. Haberman serves as first woman trustee

1991 – First women’s Megillat Esther reading (from a Megillah donated by the Sisterhood in memory of Amy L. Gerstein)

1991 – First women’s Simhat Torah hakafot

1993 – First Women’s Shabbat morning service

1995 – First Women’s minha service

2002 – Naomi Dovdavany appointed Program Director

2006 – First girls’ Megillat Ruth reading for the Congregation

2007 – Lynn Kaye appointed Assistant Congregational Leader

2009 – First young women’s Shir Hashirim for the Congregation

2012 – Barbara Reiss appointed Executive Director

2013 – Rabbi Soloveichik initiates Tuesday morning women’s class

2013 – Lisa Septimus serves as community's first Yoetzet Halakha

Hanukkiah

Synagogue tradition associates this Hanukkah lamp with the First Mill Street Synagogue of 1730.

1730
Benjamin N. Cardozo

Supreme Court Justice Benjamin Nathan Cardozo spoke of the need for the Congregation to maintain its historic traditions and to remain true to the customs and practices of the generations that had come before.

1895