Seventieth Street Synagogue
As New York City continued to grow and the population moved northward, Shearith Israel built it's current building on 70th Street and Central Park West. The plot had previously housed a duck farm.
The architect of this building was Arnold Brunner, an American-born Jewish architect with a distinguished career. In designing Shearith Israel, Brunner drew on the congregation's historic allegience to the neo-classical style evident in its previous buildings. Nineteenth century Reform congregations had been building synagogues of the Moorish, Romanesque and Gothic design. In contrast, Shearith Israel clung to traditional neo-classical architecture, a refecltion and reaffirmation of its commitment to tradition.
The building was designed with great taste by Louis Comfort Tiffany, who not only created the extraordinary glass windows but also planned the interior design and color scheme.
In 1902, the congregation built a parsonage house adjoining the synagogue building on Central Park West. Dr. Mendes and family lived in this house, as did the families of his next two succesors, Dr. Pool and Dr. Gerstein.