Your Account: Login or Register

Omer Board

1730

Shearith Israel has two “'Omer Boards” which pre-date the Mill Street Synagogue of 1730. They are used in the synagogue to count the seven weeks between Passover and Shabuot. This based on Leviticus 23:15, which instructs us to count 50 days from the offering of the new barley sacrifice on Passover until the holiday of Shabuot when the new wheat was offered. The measurement of the offering was called an “'Omer” and from this unit of measurement comes the name used for this seven week period. The letters H, S, D found on the boards stand for the Homer (H is an archaic way of transliterating the Hebrew letter 'ayin), S for Semana (weeks), and Dia (days.)  The boards have been used annualy for nearly 300 hundred years.

West 11th Street Cemetery

The West Eleventh Street cemetery, the second historic cemetery of Congregation Shearith Israel, was consecrated on February 27, 1805.  

1805
First Mill Street Synagogue

The little synagogue on Mill Street was the first structure designed and built to be a synagogue in continental North America. 

1730