Your Account: Login or Register

Hebrew School History

1731

On the 21st of Nisan, the 7th day of Pesah (1731), our Congregation consecrated our first Yeshibat, named Minhat Areb, which was used as a Beth HaMidras for the young members of our community. 

 

In 1802, Meir Polonies donated $900 to fund what has been since known as the The Polonies Talmud Torah School or PTTS.  Over two hundred years later, the school still carries his name, a dedication to the continuity of the educational mission of Shearith Israel.  

 

Since 2009, the school has tripled in size.  Our student body is now larger than it has been in it's entire history. 

Benjamin N. Cardozo

Supreme Court Justice Benjamin Nathan Cardozo spoke of the need for the Congregation to maintain its historic traditions and to remain true to the customs and practices of the generations that had come before.

1895
The 'Pineapple' Rimonim

These bells adorned a Torah scroll at the consecration ceremony of the First Mill Street Synagogue in 1730.

1730