Commemorative Synagogue Plates
September 12, 1954
In celebration of Shearith Israel’s 300th anniversary in 1954, the synagogue’s Sisterhood issued commemorative plates designed by our member Esther Oppenheim. Five of the plates depict our five synagogue buildings—the Mill Street Synagogue of 1730; the Second Mill Street Synagogue of 1818; the Crosby Street Synagogue of 1834; the 19th Street Synagogue of 1860; and our current building on 70th Street and Central Park West, dedicated in 1897. Another plate depicts the historic Touro Synagogue in Newport, Rhode Island. The Touro Synagogue, dedicated in 1763, is the oldest standing synagogue building in the United States, and is owned by Shearith Israel. The final plate depicts Shearith Israel's historic seal, adopted in 1797.